Wednesday 25 May 2011

Why do I have a beef with mental health charities?

One of the themes in my rants here is the divide between true illness and what is mental illness.

For a long time I've tried to work out what mental illness is. Perhaps I'm slow, or perhaps I need good answers. It's been years thinking about it and I have no reduction.

In fact there are many concepts for which mental health is used. Some of these need different thinking.

It's why I prefer the phrase the human condition. Illness immediately carries with it concepts which may not be suitable.

It is the bit where it is about behaviour, personality and emotion. It's the bit where the system governs how mad, bad or sad a person is. This is where I feel the practice of medicine is not suitable because it requires different thinking and techniques to 'treat' the human condition.

Making people docile is no solution. Evidence can be used to justify its use but this isn't science. The question of treatment of the other construct, society, is little considered too though there is enough evidence to point to an illness here.

The NHS drugs people to treat their behaviour. Doctord have killed many and tortured others all to treat their behaviour.

The system has little oversight. The laws...well there are few if any protections or bills of psychiatric rights. The legal system takes away rights but protects few and allows for barbaric, coercive treatments.

There are still barbaric things done to people in the name of mental health. While some cunts talk about distress and want more funding for behavioural modifcation there are people dying and being harmed.

The system may not even offer people what they expect. Yet the charities languish their time on fuck all useful.

Why do I have a beef?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"