Saturday 21 May 2011

Linking a lot of things

Patients want one thing. Doctors want another though some want what patients want.

Psychiatric research? It usually helps the psychiatric hegemony more than any of those two things.

So why not think about commissioning research ina different way. Of course experimental research and psychopathology stuff needs to be done but achieving what patients want and expect...isn't that what we expect of doctors?

Or do people with schizophrenia expect to be made docile? Do manic depressives understand their type is being suppressed from existence? Do people know what happens to the good things in their life when they accept psychiatry? Many can disappear.

Can people expect to use a health system that doesn't achieve what they want? Yes. If they use mental healthcare.

I still believe that someone, somewhere thought to do a retrospective analysis systematic review on delusions and hallucinations. When back at a pc I will have a look.

It must be there but doctors don't know it. Neither do the mental health charities I guess but, perhaps, I'm just being harsh on all of them.

Whatever. There must be a link between commissioned research and what patients want, and ultimately into what the NHS can actually offer.

I still think they should offer sex as a recommendation and perhaps on prescription...but that's an idea for another blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"