Wednesday 11 May 2011

Difference does not mean illness

This is the thing with the biomedical model. They first found different behaviour. Afterwards they applied the paradigm of illness.

The behaviours were different. They cause exclusion. This exclusion is why psychiatry exists. The mad were the outcast and compassion sought to house them in old leper colonies. I'm sure they hoped madness woud die out the same way the leprosy epidemic died out but madness is a different thing.

It was in these early days the biomedical paradigm was created. 200 years later there's lots of research into the biological differences between the types mad and and automoton.

The problem is a biological difference associated with behaviour is not a deficit. Even if in a certain country or time period the biological difference relates to a disability this does mean it is an illness. At least unless the paradigm of illness can shift to see ill societies. These are as much a cause of the 'illness' and the UK was only healed in a small way in 1992 when homosexuality was demedicalised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"