Saturday 7 May 2011

Something about a search for words

I was thinking about what would happen if the paradigm of illness was applied to society rather than individuals as it is in psychiatry.

I wondered what it would be called. Psychiatry is know as psychopathology. The study of illness of the mind. The study of wellness of the mind would be psychosanology however this term I've only seen used once before.

I thought the study of illness of society would be called sociopathology. That term is already taken in reference to something broadly aligned with psychopathy.

The paradigm of medicine could be applied to societies and cultures. There evidence that geography and culture change mental illness and prevalence. There are studies which could be used to show that there are errors, differences or causes of people doing less well in life because they are different. For example the study showing the influence of the introduction of television on children's body image in a TV-naive Fujian island. Prevalence studies for depression show poorer nations, not affluent post industrial age nations which expensive mental healthcare systems.

These and other data make me interested in this idea of ill societies rather than the mentally ill. After all the latter is as much of a construct as the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"