Monday 23 May 2011

Why is there a survivor movement?

Enusp is a psychiatric survivor network. There are other survivor organisations.

Why is this? Is it because of the 'illness' or perhaps because it isn't really an illness.

There is no movement to depathologise cancer. There is no movement I am aware of which considers cancer treatment abuse, even though it can be dangerous and harmful in itself.

The mad, of course, could perhaps be paranoid and this movement of survivors a collective symptom. They lack insight into their condition. Their illness. From a power-holding psychiatric perspective this argument could be used to suppress any movement or free thought which considers psychiatric treatment abusive.

So is it a pathology to think that a person can be a survivor rather than only the saved as a result of psychiatry in their life?

The question can only be answered by survivors. Few know of this movement, their experiences or perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"