Wednesday 18 May 2011

an idealists view of disability

It doesn't exist.

Society, technology and civilisation advance to create a beautiful world, a world of choice and identity, of valuation of difference and a living soul is free. And dying ones too.

We were born as human. It is our commonality. Death as well as birth a part of this and truths which are strong in a reasonable paradigm.

The rest is changeable. By that I mean society and civilisation. they can change. The will change.

It may take a million people to smash their heads against brick walls they can not, alone, break. No wall is built for that onslaught and I believe the wall of human inequality will break.

But the wall of disability doesn't exist. Being human does, or, perhaps, moreso than some temporary temporal construct.

The wall will break. Disability will cease and civilisation will heal. It's just a hard path for those who, for a brief moment called a lifetime, get to contribute.

2 comments:

  1. I stood just a little straighter after reading this. These words remind me that our lives are not just what we see when we look at each other. That the way we live is dynamic and alive. That all of us are part of it, together. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Kirsta. Thank you for your comment.

    We are all part of a greater movement for change. I feel like Martin Kuther King's famous "I have a dream..." speech could so easily be paraphrased to apply to disability today.

    To me it doesn't exist in a real sense. Now we have wheelchairs for people who can't walk the disability is less. Someone has invented a wheelchair that can go up stairs. Other technological developments can offer other shifts, from bionic eyes to artificial limbs.

    The disabled are are an essential part of humanity and those with mental disabilities have been subjugated and oppressed for generations. They call it compassion but when UK doctors slaughter 1,800 old people every year by unnecessarily using antipsychotics the caring profession is suddenly something very different.

    Best of luck. fight the good fight.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"