Thursday 26 May 2011

How do we become: the -social bit

In the biopsychosocial model the bio- bit is well studied. The -psycho- part is less well understood but the -social part seems the real mystery.

The best example I can give is the different presentation of anorexia in Hong Kong which changed signifcantly towards a Westernised presentation after a media story which published the reference symptoms.

In this case the presentation of a mental illness changed in a culture. This is extraordinary.

Another case might be the introduction of tv to a tv-naive population. More eating and body image related beliefs were reported after the introduction of tv.

The healing of the hysteria epidemic is another major example. I can't elucidate more than to say the epidemic reduced to a relatively small prevalence. Perhaps the vibrator, something invented for the treatment of hysteria, was an amazingly successful treatment. Or perhaps society changed in a way which is beyond our explanation but healed the behavioural disorder.

And then there's homosexuaity. Healed solely by a change in sociey, not by the treatments. This aspect to me is least important to the question.

The question is how do we become?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"