Saturday 21 May 2011

A hard concept

I may be a little slow. Or maybe not. I just need to slot things into holes and places rather than remember and rejurgutate. It may be a crystalising intelligence to compensate for deficiencies in memory, or deficiencies in memory which were masked by crystalising intelligence. Or something else. I don't know.

I have laboured upon the question of what is mental illness for far too long than any sane person might. It has been a hard and challenging concept. It took me a year but I got the reduced concept of this crazy technology thing. I've not yet reduced mental illness.

No one has either. They're all 'nebulous' which might as well be synonymous to bollocks in this vernacular but in the mode of science and philosophy and rights and medicine.

Medicine, by which I mean the professional faculty of healers rather than pills alone, is a speciality which is beautiful but made ugly with time. Most often in mental healthcare.

What is illness is an important thing. I think a cold is an illness and there are alternatives to treating it. I think obesity is not an illness and neither did many doctors until treatments proliferated. I think smoking is not an illness but it is treated by the NHS. I think homosexuality is not an illness.

But I have no suitable reduction of what mental illness is and is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"