Monday 23 May 2011

Divided society

Exclusion. It is one of the great fundamental problems. We can crack the secrets of material reality and the universe but solving ourselves and our society. Fuck. That's a fools errand.

Thankfully I live in a time blessed with fools.

I'm just a drunk myself though I dabble in the art of foolishness.

I see society as the cause of this exclusion. But I see it simplistically and with a human cause. It is the reaction to difference which creates exclusion and ills.

Society is formed for those who are like machines. Those most like a robot thrive and those who are on the other side of the dividing line are dealt with through the mental health system.

On one side is normal. The other side is different. Studies use different models or measures for different.

The different, those not of robot-like nature, are apparently mentally healthy and the rest should be like them. This is the power of psychiatry. Without question change can happen at the whim of the psychiatrist.

The entire system places a divide upon the human condition. There is no good lifetime prevalence estimate but a guesstimate based on current studies and a US estimate of lifetime prevalence is around 50%.

About 50% of us should be more like the other 50%. That's the influence on the divide effected by psychiatry.

Details
1 in 4 in a year. Good academic standing for that figure in the uk. In fact 3 in 10 if you bother to read enough.

No lifetime prevalence estimate available for the uk. Only one sutdy I stumbled across gives an estimate for the us. 1 in 2 lifetime prevalence roughly.

My memory ain't great. I have other faculties. But if I remember right the incidence figure for the us is 1 in 5.

Now I know there's theorectical concerns about all of this journalist-level science explained here but it's enough to guesstimate that current definitions of mental illness (in practice purely) must be about half the population at some point in their lives.

But what does treatment mean? No real treatment. Just a chemically induced change of state as long as the drugs are used. Drugs which don't heal biological differences which are the justifications of illness paradigm applied.

Do I make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"