Tuesday 31 May 2011

What could technology do for mental health?

Moodscope or whatever is one idea. Mobile phones which can accurately detect mood or emotion are another.

But often technology isn't aimed at this. Spell checking, for example, was never developed to reduce the disability of dyslexia.

Technology in the minority has helped physical disabilities directly from the all terrain wheelchair to the crutch. The word dearth comes to mind when thinking about technology directed at goals of mental health.

Television and other media may make mental health worse.

At the moment I'm depressed and lack the high quality drugs which help me explore these ideas further.

Read this blog and answer the question yourself. Ideas are not the sole remit of bloggers or drunks.

Ask a better and much harder question: how does technology contribute to real human happiness?

Often it doesn't. Often it creates either unfulfilment, jealousy or satiation only when technology is purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"