Thursday 22 December 2011

Adversarial research and proof of bias

In the crazy world where I can get someone to do a retrospective
meta-analysis of high quality trails of major tranquilisers drugs only
looking at the effect of the drug on the measures of delusions and
hallucinations....I want to double the cost.

There is something I want to test and this is a crappy way to do it.
What I would prefer is adversarial research teams to work on an
experimental research question using the same method. Here no new
experiment is being done. The researchers in the trials which have
happened in the past have mainly been working for pharmaceutical
companies or are proponents of the biomedical model.

Here's what I'm proposing. Two totally independent teams doing the same
thing. One is survivor/critical/anti psychiatry. The other is Big
Pharma/psychiatric biomedical mainstream. The two teams are biased in
different ways. They will bring different attitudes to the acquisition
and interpretation of data. There will be diffferences in the nuances.
This is what I expect anyway.

This is a bit like mental health research Ultimate Fighting
Championships. Two teams, each with their own agenda and each with the
same capability to acquire available data attempt to answer the
question: are antipsychotics antipsychotic and if so which one is the
best (and why) at being antipsychotic.

A single team to do this research is not expensive for the value of
answering the research question. Two teams offer something new. They
offer an opportunity to demonstrate, or not, the power of academic
bias..I'm sure there could be a much better experimental design but what
I'm doing is boolting another research question on given an opportunity
to answer another research question, one which is of far greater value
to patients.

Are antipsychotics antipsychotic? If so which one is best? (this is what
the retrospecting meta-analysis of high quality trials will answer.)

Neither of these questions have been answered. The answers may not be
what one or other team of researchers wants to hear.

--
---
Please can I ask for a few second of your time to click this link and like my suggestion.
http://tinyurl.com/equalitydata

I need the data about health outcomes sorted by race, gender, age and other characteristics so I can see if disadvantaged groups are being further disdavantaged by London GPs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"