Friday 22 July 2011

An angry response to your essay written in 2006

Hi Derek

I same something you wrote a while back.
http://www.assistedsuicide.org/as-for-the-mentally-troubled.html

The mentally ill aren't ill. You should know that already. This is just
a form of enforcing social norms and separated from common law because
of the misapplication of the paradigm of illness to the human condition.

This is why in half a century homosexuality has gone from being an
illness to not being an illness to being an illness if a homosexual
wants to be 'treated' to be normal (Sexual Identity Disorder if I
remember right). I'm sure the pseudoscience of psychiatry could be
applied to consider homosexuality an illness but there would be an
international outcry. Did you also know that when they demedicalised
homsexuality in the US there was talk of retaining a disorder related to
the distress of the awakening period? Psychiatrists at the time chose
not to include this and thereby not offer insurance-backed treatment
because the suffering was considered normal.

Perhaps people who are born to a physical gender which they feel is
incorrect is a better example? One study shows there is a difference in
the size of the corpus callosum (if I remember right) in people who are
transgender/transexual/feel they have a different mental gender to their
biological gender. How are they treated? Are they treated by therapies
to change their choice and psychology, to modify their behaviour and
make them normal? Or are they counselled towards the certainty of their
decision then, if they can afford it, doctors use harsh and dangerous
methods to change their physical form to meet their mental gender state.

Perhaps if you understood what it felt like to want to die most days of
your adult life and even the best self-sought answer isn't enough to
stop the desire to terminate my life today? It is easy to take my life:
I can step infront of a car or a train. But this is not a reliable
method. I can search the internet to be misled about ways to die
reliably and peacefully. I can seek the things which would kill me but
they are made illegal and hard to obtain so I must chose a messy,
unreliable, violent method.

Mental illness is different from physical or real illness but the right
to die isn't. That's why it's called a fucking right. The methods of
psychiatry are to steal rights from people. The right to die movement
has bought into the tyranny of psychiatry.

I had a plan. I wanted to know I could have a peaceful death. I planned
to wait 4 years and I'd picked the day. I'd have to struggle through
those 4 years of living hell but there would have been a light at the
end of the tunnel. Sadly Dignitas won't help me. it looks like none of
your ilk would help me exercise my free will.

I have been on more psychiatric medication for this 'problem' than any
person should be allowed to take. This included sodium venlaflaxine, an
antidepressant for treatment resistant depression, as well as various
forms of behavioural and thought modification. I am not the only one who
has been through all the crap of 'help' from psychiatry and those who
supposedly care. I have struggled to find my own answers through all the
bullshit information which is put out there to lie to those who want to
die, to confuse them and to extend their suffering. It confirms my
decision every day.

You clearly have compassion for those with real illness but it seems
like there is little compassion for those with terminal mental illness
who will take their lives. Several thousand in the UK every day. One
person every 15 minutes in Japan.

Take the burnout out schizophrenic suicide. A large percentage of the
deaths by suicide in schizophrenia happen in the early stages but a far
larger percentage happen in the years after the initial onset. This is
because life is torturous for them. It is a daily living hell and the
only release is eternal peace.

Please. For fucks sake. The right to die is a right for all.

Regards


--
Don't let justice be the privilege of the elite. Support the Justice for All campaign
http://www.justice-for-all.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"