Saturday 16 July 2011

Dance movement therapy could work well if combined with the right drugs

I reckon a few drinks and a spliff combined with some crazy dancing
(perhaps in a dedicated crazy pub where people had no inhbitions nor
need to) might be an interesting alternative treatment for depression
instead of SSRIs and CBT.

The creative drug, skunk, could help people learn to be in touch with
the music. It can help people to learn about their heart and get in
touch with that part of their mind which might not be used. It is an
enabler. Alcohol reduces inhibitions and helps people come together
socially.

A few of these sessions might be better than the standard treatment for
depression for a lot of people. The choice of music might also be a
factor in improved recovery. Slow music with cannabis can make people
more introspective whereas faster or more 'cheesey' music might be
better suited to giving people a lift. Vocal music might be better than
electronica, i.e. soulful house for these purposes might be better than
tech house. I'm not sure though. Some people may find it easy to have
simple music to dance to rather than the double whammy of beat and vocal.

I remember a manic depression friend of a friend. He was studying to be
a doctor at the time but he was wild and crazy. I liked him. When things
got too crazy he had music he used to love to listen to. it was some of
the 60s and 70s stuff. Gloria Gaynor or something. It helped me a lot I
reckon.

I don't know if he ever became a doctor or not. He tried really damn
hard. Manic depression can be a terrible curse at medical school. He was
smart enough to get into medical school and he was smart enough to work
out his own answers to cope. I wonder if his answers have value to other
doctors trying to help their patients when they're in need?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"