Monday 18 July 2011

Where the idea of society illness might go wrong

Let's say we measured the number of lies people tell. This is somewhat
possible with the Outernet (all the information recorded
electronically). White lies or lies by leaving out details or outright
lies could be three categories.

The measure could be the a factor of these three concepts weighted and
summed. It's irrelevant actually. This is just about thinking. A index
for each country or society or culture or whatever could be created.

My personal idea of a good society is one where people didn't lie or
need to lie but this is the problem. This is just my belief.

Jokes and stories can also be lies. For example I once wondered down a
dark set of stairs to what I assumed was a bar or a club or something. I
was on one of my walk and drink and think trips around London. The bar
was the sort of place people wouldn't ordinarily want to enter. There
was nothing but a sign and stairs leading down to the bar where there
was a keypad entry door and a person on a booth who was the
receptionist/concierge. It was the sort of place no one would try to get
into unless they were like me. They wouldn't let me in and explained it
there was a gay nudist night. I argued a little because I wanted a drink
and I'm not homophobic but in the end I couldn't have gone in because of
my self harm scars. This is all true.

When I tell the story I make it funny by telling a lie. I joke that I
tried bending over backwards which is a pun on gay sex. I joke that I
thought "bloody cheek" and there's another gay pun in there, but it
wasn't true. I didn't think "bloody cheek" at the time and so this is a lie.

Clearly the idea of society illness is flawed if all that I am doing is
projecting my view of a perfect world on the world. Developed world
society thrives on lies and pathologises those who can't tell the
difference between a truth and a lie. Those who tell the truth are often
disadvantaged too whereas people who lie can be advantaged.

Perhaps a better question is why do people lie?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"