Sunday 17 July 2011

Is a measure of the illness in society the measure of inequality or the impact of inequality

A simple measure is inequality, for example the width between the
richest and poorest person (by whatever measure).

But perhaps what's better is a measure of the impact of the difference,
i.e. though extremes exist what is the practical impact of the
difference. So the difference between a person living on Job Seekers
Allowance and the richest person in the UK is massive. Let's measure the
impact on life expectancy alone for a nice simple example. An ill
society would have a high difference in life expectancy related to
financial wealth. This would be even more of an illness in society if
Job Seekers Allowance or an NHS service free for all at the point of
access didn't exist.

In a very simplistic sense it might be gauged that in this respect
America is more 'ill' than the UK. However my understanding is that
there is a higher onus on personal charity. I'm not sure. But people tip
more and stuff. I assume individual Americans give money to the homeless
and stuff or help pay for healthcare for those without health insurance.
Alternatively they might give money to their church or other religious
organisation but this is not personal charity per se.

I wonder if a measure of personal charity might be another measure of
'illness' in society. There is tax and there is zakat for Muslims. But
then there's what people give on top of that to individuals in need. It
is hard to measure because a lot of this sort of charity isn't recorded
with electronic systems. Sometimes it is simply the kindness of strangers.

Bah. I'm tired and I'm teary about a girl I'm still in love with and...I
wouldn't even know what to say to her right now. I would have to put up
my strong front if I saw her, my emotional mask, rather than break down
and tell her that I love her with all my heart. I would have to be
strong to protect myself from the pain of rejection or perceived
rejection. I can not handle the problem of thinking what might make her
happy in life: to never see me again, to be friends, or for us to go on
a date or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"