Thursday 21 July 2011

What is the first question to ask someone who's tried to kill themselves?

Are you ok?

What happened?

Why?

But the problem is people lie. The person asking the questions must be
trusted by the person who made an attempt. The trust they give
implicitly must be honoured by the person asking the questions, so if
the trust is to not tell anyone else then this has to be honoured.

The problem is people think there are such things as better interests or
lack of capacity or that trust should be broken to do the 'right' thing.

Speaking to a person after they've tried to kill themselves is a unique
thing in life. I don't think anything can really prepare a person but it
is a special place to be that person in someone's life: the person who a
suicide attemptee opens up to honestly. It is sacred and a privilege.
With those privileges comes trust.

If there is no trust for the attemptee to speak openly and honestly...in
true safety....then I, personally, would want to tear down the fabric of
reality and remake it such that this trust is a guarantee for those
who've tried to kill themselves.

And, of course, there is also the 'problem' of people who want to die.
The question of why? doesn't matter when the truth is simple: I want to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"