Friday 29 July 2011

Surviving psychiatric crisis (psychosis and mania) and the sound barrier

Back in the day they thought it wasn't possible to go faster than the
speed of sound. A plane getting close would break up.

I think doctors believe it is impossible to go through acute psychosis -
the really bad stuff - without mental healthcare. They would think it
impossible for a person to work during this period.

In a sense they're right about the latter. In any ordinary work place I
would not have been able t continue to work. My behaviour was erratic
and problematic. My work performance was poor. I should have been
disciplined or sacked while I went through it. I think many would think
I should have been incarcerated and forcibly treated for my own safety.

Most people kill themselves when they're going through what I was going
through. I wanted to back then and I tried different ways to die because
I thought the experience wouldn't end. It was a unique torture from the
non-corporeal entity in my reality.

Through a unique set of circumstances I managed to keep my job through
this living hell. Those who knew me would have seen a vibrant person
change into a silent slab of meat, rarely smiling or having fun. I
became isolated and deeply troubled. I would have ocassional outbursts -
the sort of thing which would have gotten me fired had I not worked at a
place which, I hope, is the sort of place which represents the future of
workplaces.

It was a place where people knew a little about mental health. Not
everyone was mentally ill. A lot were. It was a mental health charity so
people became familiarised with the concepts of mental health. They were
able to tolerate my outbursts and outlandish behaviour. This, I hope, is
part of the future.

Back in the day they thought the sound barrier couldn't be broken. Any
plane which tried disintegrated. It was Chuck Yeager flying one of the
American X-series experimental jets who is recognised as the person who
broke the sound barrier. Today all modern fighter jets can go faster
than the speed of sound and Concorde was the first and only commercial
plane which could travel transonic. It's even a challenge for
aeronautical engineers to design aeroplanes that travel faster than sound

The future will see madness in a similar way. With workplace cultures
and communities like what I was privileged to have around me at the time
the mad in the future will be able to go through their periods of
madness back in society. In fact it will become passe to see a mad
person in crisis. It will be normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"