Tuesday 19 July 2011

Technology and the possiblity of an alternative to a psychiatric ward

This is horrible. This is horrible because this sort of idea in the
wrong hands could be used for al sorts of bad things.

But if I was to think bad then I might think a sort of ball and chain
type restraint could be developed such that if it was moved too far from
a certain point a number of things could happen such that the person
would be incapacitated. I'm not sure electromagnets are small enough to
mean that two ankle cuffs with strong electromagnets which pull the legs
together with enough strength are possible as a portable thing which can
safely be used in the community (I guess electromagnets that strong
might wipe hard disks in the surrounding area and mess up pacemakers.

Pain could be used, for example a heating device which would seer the
wearers body if they went too far from their place of confinement. This
is sort of Pavlovian and could keep long term psychiatric patients in
secure wards trapped in a safe area where they could have basic rights.
This is a terrible thing to do to a person though. This is inhumane too.
And some people can get used to high levels of physical pain.

A GPS device strapped to the arm, body or leg of a person could be used
to acute tranquilise someone but this again is as inhumane as the
forcible injection of an antipsychotic into a distressed human being's
arse. People can also handle high doses of these drugs when in an
emotional or heightened state and people can also build tolerance to
high doses.

Three shit ideas. Three shit ideas better than some of the stuff which
happens in psychiatric wards and because of the medico-legal framework
and the lack of guaranteed human rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"