Thursday 7 July 2011

I killed my grandfather

I made him so angry he had a heart attack which ended up with him dead.
He was ill already of course but I think my action was the tipping point.

He was old and cranky. We would fight like cats and dogs. I would guess
if people saw the relationship on the outside they would see no love.
But there was love.

He was like a walking encyclopaedia. He was a tough man but he was also
a good man. He was very different to my grandmother. She gave me
unconditional love even though I was a total arsehole. I still miss them.

For all my bad times I had a lot of privileges. One of them was having
grandparents and having parents who would put up with living with their
parents. My mother and father worked very hard. i doubt they'd have had
the time to look after me. I got all the attention when I was a kid. My
sister got so little. That's probably another point.

The point is the value of the third generation. The create of the
"nuclear family" where households consisted of two generations was
probably a mistake. It is another illness is society. Losing this third
tier was like losing wisdom. Kids became...well...kids lost out on the
best education. Schools can't teach about life the way grandparents can.
Parents have no time to teach because they're working so many hours. The
professionals at least. my parents were doctors so they'd have to work
hard and study too to be good doctors.

The idea of a 3 tier household versus an ill society where 2 tier
households (I mean generations rather than tiers perhaps but I think you
know what I mean) isn't rocket science. Just go look at our ancestors:
the apes. The structures of apes - I forget the collective noun for apes
but you know aht I mean - living together is as a community. Their
dynamics are probably same same but different, as the Thais would say,
to human social and family dynamics.

There is probably an old, cranky, lonely ape in every community of apes.
I don't know enough about monkeys to know if the monkey community would
accept this ape or call them mentally ill. I'm not sure if monkeys would
cast out their elders from the pack or group or whatever.

We apes made a mistake and psychiatry allowed it to continue. we forgot
we are also apes as well as human. Without a profession of society
doctors our society and our world became infected with the illness of
psychiatry. Psychiatry itself may only be a symptom of course. There may
be a deeper root cause.

This is something I feel I need to explore more perhaps...not
today...another day. I just wanted to get something out which I was
thinking of right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"