Wednesday 7 December 2011

Begin with the premise I am wrong

Begin with seeing my idea as wrong. Believe that mental illness is a genuine illness. Believe the biomedical model.

Schizophrenia is an illness. Differences in the brain...ventricles and stuff if I remember right...genetics and the 50% monozygotic trial thing...heck...even the HVN thing...or whatever...the whole virus built into human dna.

A genetic and biological brain illness which causes an abherrant psychology which is disadvantaged in society. This is the explanation of the biopsychosocial model which is accepted by the uk's national institute for clinical excellence.

The prognosis is a result of a biological syndrome. And I am wrong. Let us take this premise. I believe it is first and foremost a person and...a phenomological thingie but I don't know what the word means or how to spell it.

I'm damned to understand the clinical outcomes because I don't care. Except for suicide or homicide. The former, at least, has an aspect of free will for the individual concerned. (Yes...kill me please...blah blah blah...all I want no one would give and few understand).

I understand the social outcomes though. They are the outcomes the biomedical model is meant to solve but doesn't.

I may be wrong and I often am I'm sure. I'm just a drunk. This piece we have assumed I am wrong about the model. It is an illness.

If I'm wrong then great. I don't care. I care about the prognosis and the disability. If I am wrong then I am in well funded and respected company. Psychiatry has treatment totally wrong.

Psychiatry is a medical model construct. The medical model applies with greater clarity to things like having no legs. Modern medical engineering has allowed signifcant progress but a person with no legs frequently has any recourse to reduce their disability but a wheelchair.

One signifcant bit of progress in developed world nations is disability discrimination legislature. This means big buildings must be built with lifts and ramps. The biological illnesss isn't but the mobility disability is reduced a little by a wheelchair. The biological illness isn't but the disability is by mandating that large public buildings are fully accessible to those with mobility disability.

So if I'm wrong about the model then...damn...really...I hate being wrong. Human difference may be the product of a genuine illnesss. Frankly, when they pathologise the happy and not hypermanic or pathological manic then I guess I will have to conceed.

Am I so misguided about the new direction of psychiatric 'treatment'?

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"