Wednesday 1 September 2010

Animal rights vs psychiatric rights

I just skimmed the headings of the Welfare Act. It gives rights to
animals whereas the Mental Health Act takes away rights from people who
have a mental disorder and gives them no rights or protections
(admittedly the 2007 amendments made small changes to rights but in
practice the rights can be overridden and in my personal experience the
NHS doesn't care about the law).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents

The problem is the public assume psychiatric patients are animals.
They've never met one though. They don't know just how normal we are.
They may be different. They may be weird. They may even be ugly. But
they're as normal as us. And the same fucking species.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"