Wednesday 1 September 2010

Scientology

I've started a facebook conversation with a long standing
Scientologist. I may be on their radar now. I posted a link in the
Citizens Commission for Human Rights Facebook page which had the
information about the CCHR's connection to the Scientologists. I think
the CCHR is a great cause but people should know their associations. I
then commented in the fake Thomas Szasz page on Facebook and that's how
the communique began.

I've read up a bit about Scientology but know little of the core of the
quasi-religion. I agree with some of their principles though not with
the same vehemence. I disagree with their tactics, for example trying to
take over the membership of the National Association for Mental Health
(now Mind).

We're actually getting along quite well. He's trying to get me to read
Dianetics. I'm passing on information about Richard Bentall and Joanna
Moncrieff's work. I also sent a link to the Thud experiment, one of the
most accessible pieces of research showing mispathology in action.

What little I knew of Dianetics he's confirmed to me. It's a rebranded
form of an established psychotherapy but it has no evidence base. L Ron
Hubbard's papers were rejected by the American Psychiatric Association.
If there was an ecidence base it would show that it had limited effect
compared to the control treatments because most psychotherapies in high
quality reviews fail to be effective and the only one that seems to be
effective, cognitive behavioural therapy (the new religion....), is an
engineer's solution to psychotherapy: it's designed around the measures
so it measures well.

Still, I want to find out more. This is me exploring out of curiosity
but it may be playing with fire. Curiosity killed the cat and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"