Wednesday 8 September 2010

A status update by Rufus May

I thought this was rather good.
"
We have to build a revolution of loving kindness! Then we will wake up to the knowledge that drugs don't heal our minds, love, equality and peaceful activity does, nevertheless we need to handle them very carefully. Bless all those pills and the depots. Emancipate ouselves from diagnostic thinking and other forms of controlling practices. And eat more porridge.
"

Rufus May is one of the leading lights in progress in UK mental healthcare. He's most famous perhaps for the Channel 4 documentary The Doctor that hears voices. He promotes a non-medication or minimal medication approach for psychosis. It's not so revolutionary in other countries but the UK's pretty much the backwater of Europe when it comes to treatment and outcomes for psychosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"