Monday 20 September 2010

The definition of schizophrenia is atheist

Here's the definition from the Mayo Clinic.
"
Schizophrenia is a group of severe brain disorders in which people
interpret reality abnormally. Schizophrenia may result in some
combination of hallucinations, delusions and disordered thinking and
behaviour. The ability of people with schizophrenia to function normally
and to care for themselves tends to deteriorate over time.

"

The Hearing Voices movement have a totally different perception rooted
in the previous understandings of unusual states of consciousness. The
delusions aren't delusions. It's not an illness but a gift.

There are other interpretations. My personal one is it's a state of
human existence that is rejected by the current construct of what is a
normal human being. There is an unusual and sometimes painful change
process where a person goes from a 'normal' experience of consciousness
to a different one. This is quite a significant change and there's no
support for it embedded in the culture. People get dragged into
psychiatric wards, drugged and told they have a dysfunctional brain.
They are not made aware that that whole brain illness thing my be the
highest form of bullshit (bullshit backed by the best science and
totally believed in by the scientists and doctors). I don't know if it's
a religious experience or not but I know it's not just a brain defect
(in fact in may be a brain advancement, like the first monkey to stand
up taller).

What fascinates me is the religious organisations have not entered
debate. Perhaps they're totally bought by the medicalisation of mental
illness and have lost the organisational memory that they used to be the
mental healthcare system. They've totally bought into the Age of
Reason's (or the secular enlightenment) replacement for what the faiths
provided to society, from treatments for mental illness (e.g. confession
- a form of psychological therapy) to diagnosis of psychosis.

There's a quote by a famous psychiatrist from the 1970's which says it
better than I. I goes something along the lines of: if psychiatry had
been around in the time of Jesus he'd have gone back to being a carpenter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"