Tuesday 7 September 2010

The right to freedom from torture and psychiatric hospitals

A person who doesn't want to be sectioned can go through a distressing
experience at a distressing time. When unwell a person has their liberty
taken from them. This would be torture for any free citizen.

t can also be a traumatic environment. There aren't the protections in
place to stop sexual abuses.

Ten there's the problems that come with diagnoses. A person with a
cleanliness fixation that may or may not come with obsessive compulsive
disorder would find the environment challenging and distressing. I
remember being in a ward where there was someone just like that. They'd
wash their hands again and again. They'd keep washing them because
everything they touched was dirty - and it really was. They kept on
washing even as the antidepressant medication kicked in. They kept
washing their hands till the skin started to flake and peel.

There are many forms of emotional torture. The human rights act may only
consider freedom from physical torture. It may not grant peoople the
freedom from emotional or psychological torture.

It certainly doesn't give psychiatric patients any rights so I assume
the worst. It tells them what rights they don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"