Tuesday 28 September 2010

social exclusion and madness

The social exclusion I'm talking about is exclusion from circles of
friends and cliques. It happens for many reasons and because of many
different prejudices. One of these is madness.

The mad when they're in a mad state are a pain in the arse. That's the
simple thing.

When I'm in a 'well' (socially acceptable state) I'm popular because I'm
fun and people want to hang out with me but when I go into an 'unwell' state
. When I'm not people would rather not see me. They have too little
spare time to give to my aggressive or sad behaviours. They want to easy
to get on with, fun loving, cheery person.

I admit I do it myself. I prefer to spend time with cheery people.
They're easier. They may not be real experiences because most cheeriness
is a façade that's necessary for congenial human interaction. It also
reinforces the need to be cheery, because those people are more
acceptable. It's the same for attractive people. The rest have to use
makeup.

It's inauthentic and a lie to be cheery just to fit in. In the same way
it's inauthentic to be against stigma but try to hide the symptoms of
madness to fit in and get on in life. Both of these reinforce the
prejudices of mental illness. Both promote the lie that people are happy
and sane. Both hide the fact from being expressed, the fact most of us
are truly miserable and fairly crazy.

There will come a day when this sort of social exclusion because of
malformed norms of human behaviour will cease. Sadly I won't be around
to experience it. My life will be marred by those times when my
behaviour is judged to be unacceptable, tiresome or simply boring. And
lots of the friends I make when I'm in my 'well' times don't want to
accept the person I am in those 'unwell' times.

My state of being has one big advantage. I truly know how my real
friends are. Those who've never had their friendships tested will never,
ever have that privilege. They live a false life with false friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"