Wednesday 22 September 2010

The problem with determining cause and effect

I've been thinking that perhaps the exclusion faced by children with
early onset schizophrenia is part of the reason why their brains develop
differently. Research shows that children with a diagnosis of
schizophrenia have a 5% reduction in brain volume while growing up but
those without have a reduction of 1% in the same time period. The
psychiatric and biomedical interpretation of the reduction in brain
matter is proof of a brain disease component however I wonder if it's
the effect rather than the cause or if there are casual features of
symptoms.

I doubt the exclusion alone is enough to precipitate the relatively
large increase in brain volume changes. I think there's something
important about the internal experience. People learn to use their
senses. These include sense to perceive the social environment and this
processing may achieved using a certain area or network of neural
circuitry. It may be what is lacking in people with autism and with
schizophrenia.

In schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders the internal experience
becomes prominent. The sense of information from a different
source....how can I put this.... The increased use of what some people
call intuition or gut feelings is a different way of processing reality
from using 'standard' processes of interpretation of reality, events and
people. If this increased use and experience of the internal reality
persists the brain may change over time (and this is possible in
adults). The change from a pervasive 'standard' processing of reality to
a spiritual or quasi-intuitive way of processing reality may be another
cause of the brain matter changes.

It may also be an effect of the brain changes. This is the problem with
determining cause and effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"