Wednesday 29 September 2010

The Daily Mail: The paper that's racist so you don't have to be

I love to hate the Daily Mail. It's actually not that bad a paper but it
does promote prejudices.

Thanks to Time to Change they are bashing the mentally ill less. This
will be a significant step towards changing the stigma in the long term.
They will shift their attention to other prejudices.

I'm waiting for the headline that says "asylum seekers cause global
warming" because that's the sort of thing the Daily Mail would love.
I've just seen a recent headline that's aggravated me though. "Cocaine
Chloe kicked off the X-Factor." Why does that piss me off? Well if she'd
had any other mental illness some politically correct organisation would
have got in there and said they shouldn't be branding people with labels
which they would have done had the headline read "Psycho Subo" instead.

The same methods of immoral moral judgements pushed upon society through
the media that reinforced the stigma of other mental illnesses still
happens to drug users.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"