Tuesday 14 September 2010

Personal attributional style and mental health measures using self report

Attributional style in this context means how a person measures something. Three people may experience the same experience of the vagries of the human condition. They all fill in the the same self-report questionnaire  Person A fills it in how the person who designed the scale meant it to be filled in. Person B may be more sensitive or less resilient or exaggerates so their scores are much higher or more extreme. Person C may be less in tune with their pysche, more resilient or more conservative in their self-report.

This attributional style may be a personality trait however it may also change day to day, moment to moment. This is the 'noise' of personality traits that makes identifying a person's type challenging from a single assessment of personality type.

It may be possible to train self-reporters so the variance in their attributional style disappears. It may also be possible to design a pre-questionnaire or something similar to assess their temporal attibutional style before the assessment. 

I'm not sure if this is taken into account in the CORE-OM measures. I'm aware of seeing in it practice. I've filled out forms in an attempt to get access to psychological therapies however I didn't score my disorder highly because I'm resilient to a lot of it and I've been in far worse states (states which would shatter anyone's psyche). I may have been filling in GAD or PHQ or some other measure. Not too sure if it was the CORE one.

A private psychiatrist I saw for a few years offered a useful measure. Well, one that I felt worked at the time anyway. He asked how I felt but the extremes of the scale were the best I've ever felt and the worst I've ever felt. The time I spent with him meant that he could assess my attributional style as well and he could question my answers. 

He could also develop a consensus understanding of the measure between himself and the patient. This is probably the most important thing with any measure.There's no point taking about measures when one person's taking in feet and the other in metres.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"