Tuesday 7 September 2010

The mad and their similarity to the Indian untouchable class

The Indian caste system was a hierachy intertwinned with the culture a
century or two ago. At the bottom of this caste system were the
untouchables. It's like the mad features as the bottom of the British
class system in the same time period, however the injustice perpetrated
on the mad continues to this day.

They were disadvantaged in relationships and marriage; many parents
would not want their child to marry one of them. They were severally
disadvantaged in employment and often ended up doing menial jobs. They
lived in poverty, rejected and aspered upon by wider society. They had
fewer rights.

Who am I talking about? The mad or the untouchables?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"