Sunday 12 September 2010

The book where the original 1 in 4 figure comes from

Mental illness in the community: the pathway to psychiatric care By David P. Goldberg, Peter Huxley
http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=yU0OAAAAQAAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq=undiagnosed+rate+incidence+mental+disorder&ots=9-mcNMuHgA&sig=xW8t5NkRDylS_GDS8vb6jGuJOPc#v=onepage&q&f=false


It's somewhere in here they estimate a 250 in 1000 incidence figure from a 180 in 1000 prevalence figure. I think the sample period was a month for the prevalence figure.

However definitions of mental illness are important. I haven't read the book thoroughly to see which measure was used to calculate the prevalence figure. The calculation that goes between the prevalence and incidence was noted to be incorrect in the authors second book published in the nineties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"