Wednesday 22 September 2010

A random paper I'd like to spend more time reading but don't understand much of it

While looking for something else I came across this paper. I'll get
round to reading it at some point.

Pronouns and procedural meaning: The relevance of spaghetti code and
paranoid delusion
David Cram and Paul Hedley
Oxford University Working Papers in Linguistics, Philology and Phonetics
(2005), vol. 10, pages 187-210.
http://mostlyharmless.org.uk/linguistics/documents/cramhedley-web.pdf
It'
Spaghetti code is a programming term for poorly written software code
that jumps around using GOTO statements. The author consider this
analogous to the use of pronouns to structure sentences.

The authors begin to break down the cognitive linguisitic process in
people experiencing paranoiddelusions using whatlooks like guess work
though it may be logical reasoning and inference rather than what a lay
person might consider guesswork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"