Wednesday 1 September 2010

The difference between distress and disorder

Lets travel back in time to the mid-20th century.

A person could be a happy homosexual. Their disorder or pathology was
homosexuality. They may have experienced little distress though.

In 1973 when America demedicalised homosexuality there was a debate
about medicalising the distress of awareness of homosexuality in a
society that was still heteronormative. They chose not to medicalise it
because the distress of the change of awareness was considered normal by
psychiatrists at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"