Friday 3 September 2010

Celebrity credibility

Bipolar has become significantly more acceptable thanks to Stephen
Fry's documentary and personality. A while back I ended up chatting to a
girl and her aunt in a local pub. Her aunt told me she had OCD and that
she wasn't going to be able to be very competent even though she was
smart. I told her David Beckman has OCD and both were surprised. It
really helped the girl because her aunt had made her feel useless for
having OCD, and her aunt appreciated it because she didn't have much
hope for the girl. Both regained their possibility of success.

Some mental illnesses don't have a celebrity yet. These are the most
disabling and the most stigmatised ones. John Nash would have got a
diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia but no one has heard of John Nash
and few have watched the film A Beautiful Mind. Socrates also would have
got a diagnosis of schizophrenia and he's one of the most important
persons in the history of science, but few people with a diagnosis of
schizophrenia would feel their chances in life are improved by knowing
about Socrates.

Who is the national celebrity for schizophrenia?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"