Wednesday 22 September 2010

Another paper on schizophrenia and communication

Another random open access find. I've been looking for another
explanation of the word "ostensive" (in the psychiatric
sense) other than the explanation I read in a BJPsych paper on the
difference between a mental illness and a personality disorder.

Understanding Minds and Understanding Communicated Meanings in
Schizophrenia
http://philrsss.anu.edu.au/~mdavies/papers/pragmatics.pdf
<http://philrsss.anu.edu.au/%7Emdavies/papers/pragmatics.pdf>

I can't remember if the distinction is solely on a biological basis,
i.e. all 'true' mental illnesses have biological cause- this is known as
Kraepelinian ostensivity. There's another aspect apart from the
biological cause and I can't remember if it's aetiology (which wouldn't
make sense) or prognosis (which would).

I find seeing two versions of a definition interesting. It presents a
fuller picture. I find some ways people express definitions easier to
understand than others so seeing two or three helps me understand better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"