Sunday 3 April 2011

The asymptomatic mental illness

This would divide psychiatrist or not. I'm not sure.

Asymptomatic in medical terms is an illness which presents with no symptoms. Geographic tongue is one. It can be asymptomatic or cause a burning sensation when eating hot food. I kid you not.

But is it possible to have an asymptomatic behavioural and emotional disorder. What that might mean is a biological syndrome of depression without showing any signs. This may be impossible. I don't know enough about neurobiology.

What is possible is an emotional fluctuation or intensity of mood which in another person cause behavioural disturbances pathologised by psychiatrists. Some people are resilient to these but are they mentally ill?

A person may experience psychosis but not show it. This is often a problem for psychiatrists who've not earned their patients trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"