Friday 1 April 2011

Is it cost effective?

A good friend of mine asked me this about the Soteria paradigm. I answered with honesty. My great failing. I said no.

He has a higher standard of education in health policy. My friend studied at Harvard. He studied public health policy and has two other degrees, one in business and one in medicine. He used to be a GP in the UK too.

He asked a good question. I don't know if he read my retort. He didn't respond. I argued poorly perhaps. Or was too lengthy in my response. Perhaps even too fanatical.

I simply explained that what happens in first episode psychosis is traumatic and inhumane. Essentially but not to put too fine a point on it my message was fuck cost effectiveness. You're a fucking doctor.

Can you see why I'm better alone?

My point stands but I think I may have a better one. The lobotomy.

The lobotomy is cheap to do and with modern psychosurgery it would be very cost effective in the long term as well as have safety levels similar to clozapine.

The cost benefit from refining the ice pick operation means people no longer need to be prescribed expensive antipsychotic drugs long term. When it was successful the lobotomy achieved the same results as prophylatic antipsychotic medication.

There are many cheap and easy new ways to remove the frontal lobes with a much lower risk than the ice pick technique. Had the psychopharmaceutical not come along and been accepted the lobotomy would be the primary treatment today.

It would be cheap and cost effective compared to antipsychotics. They wouldn't be commissioned if the lobotomy was still around. Btw - I think it was the UN or the WHO who made the lobotomy illegal eventually but not after it had killed many of my kin.

This is a salient health economics argument apart freom 2 things. One is the risk of death but this can be acceptable to psychiatrists. The other is the inhumanity of removing bits of peoples brains. Sadly psychosurgery still continues to be experimented with.

The inhumanity of carving up people's brains for dislike of their behaviour is sick and repugnant to me. I hope the past few paragraphs have made you want to vomit.

Well today the inhumanity of psychiatry's coercive practives, the trauma of first episode and the use of barbourous treatments continues. It continues while the Royal college of psychiatry has a motto of letting wisdom guide.

It would be more humane if they tasted my chocolate salty balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"