Friday 29 April 2011

“When assessing potential beneficial and harmful effects, patient-relevant endpoints and not their surrogates (i.e. disease-relevant aspects) should primarily be taken into consideration.”

That's a fucking great quote aunt it?

here's where I got it from.
http://chess.uchicago.edu/events/hew/fall08/bridges.pdf

IDENTIFYING PATIENT-RELEVANT ENDPOINTS AMONG INDIVIDUALS WITH
SCHIZOPHRENIA: AN APPLICATION OF PATIENT CENTERED HEALTH TECHNOLOGY
ASSESSMENT
Elizabeth T Kinter1, Annette Schmeding2, Ina Rudolph2, Susan dosReis1,3,
John FP Bridges

I've been a total psychiatrist recently. I've assumed that most patients
in first episode and some patients afterwards expect the cessation of
the delusions and hallucinations as a primary aspect for their care.
I've got no evidence for that assumpton apart from personal experience,
experience of a friend of mine and the experience of the brother of a
girl I met out one night (who'd just been stuck in a ward for
schizophrenia and have self-admitted problems with a commanding voice
and morbid thoughts).

It's so good i'm going post it twice.
"When assessing potential beneficial and harmful effects,
patient-relevant endpoints and not their surrogates (i.e.
disease-relevant aspects) should primarily be taken into consideration."
IQWiG Methods (2005) (15)

So PANSS and BPRS are pants. The psychiatric hegemony may be licking my
chocolate salty balls soon but this thread isn't about my own shit.

If patients want the delusions and halluncations to stop the n
psychiatrists and doctors need the evidence to allow this to happen.
What this means is they need evidence which only looks at the stuff
which is relevant to schizophrenics' expectations and their treatment.

They don't need to do a new trial. Just a reanalysis of old data.
Delusions and hallucinations are found as part of the multi-factor
measures used in psychiatric research. They just have to look at data
from old studies. But they have to look far and wide. It's not just
antipsychotics. It's food and mood and other stuff. Even talking
therapies which I expect don't reduce the delusions and halluncations
but they might do. The psyche is a strange thing. It might be something
totally unexpected which works. Not the 'antipsychotic' which may be
shown to be simply a major tranquiliser which offers nothing but the
sort of thing that psychiatrists want to do to schizophrenics: drug them
into docility and non-expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"