Wednesday 20 April 2011

The Large Hadron Collider and homelessness

Looks like I was wrong about the homeless guy. Turns out he really is homeless. He's sleeping in the park. I'm sitting in another bit of the park writing.

He's told me a little of his life. He left on what sounds like a very long trek around the world. He's skilled as a builder and that's how he used to earn. He reutnred to the UK and found himself homeless. He's a UK citizen. He returned to where he was brought up and now sleeps in the park.

I don't understand how this is possible. I thought there were systems in place to prevent this. Clearly they're not working. He's asked me for £650. It's what he needs to get somewhere to live then, apparently, the council will pay for it afterwards.

What's this got to do with the Large Hadron Collider? This is the biggest, most expensive experiment ever. It pushes forth our understanding of the universe at a tiny scale.

I've love science. I love research and endeavour. The LHC is the modern equivalent of the Apollo programme.

Mankind reached the moon in the last century but we still can't house people. Scientists are attempting to solve great problems in science but there are still social problems yet to be solved.

He may drink. He may even be mentally ill, though he refers to us as schizos and psychos so I don't think he's ever been in mental healthcare. He is a person without a home. None but the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"