Saturday 16 April 2011

I wonder how many ex-psychiatric patients work at the national mental health charities?

There is no hierachy. At the same time there is. I've yuve done 'time' then that's an easy measure of severity. Twice or more affords more reliability. I prefer the term classically mentally ill because that's really what two or more hospitalisations is a sign of. I think it's unimportant whether these were under section or voluntarily.

My guess is that numbers would be small and percentages tiny. Hospitalisation usually indicates a downward path in life. This prognosis has dogged my life. Few have bettered the predicted outcomes.

The thing is...I'm not ill...which puts me in control...I am responsible and capable though I live life to the edge...but though I know the research and I can see it true in my life I also know that I have a choice and I...have gone totally off topic.

So...how many psychiatric patients get paying jobs at major mental health charities. My hope is that it's a lot. We know the edges of the system where the mainstream need to keep fighting against. We know mental health more than someone with a PhD too because we have life to teach us. No book can teach better and no knowledge other than lived experience can truly inform because it's about things 'normal' people can barely imagine.

The psychiatric ward is a unique teacher. The value is endless if you chose to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"