Monday 18 April 2011

If you want to know about happiness ask someone who's poor

Outside Western countries people are a lot happier. Developing world nations score better than european ones in international psychiatric studies.

It's not just schizophrenia. Depression and anxiety are far less common.

I remember a story someone told me once. For some reason it seems relevant but I can't think why. A wild rabbit is standing near me in the park I'm sitting in.

Two business men went on holiday to somewhere near the sea. They rented a fishing boat and spoke with the captain. He was a genial type and he seemed surprisingly intelligent for a man who drives a fishing boat all day.

They asked him why he didn't get a proper job in the city. The man looked puzzled. He asked them why he would want that.

They said with a job he could have money. He could have a good job, a career and go on holiday. He could buy the best rods and fish in a tropical paradise 4 weeks a year.

He looked at them and paused. They looked puzzled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"