Sunday 10 April 2011

A shit way to reduce the completed suicide rate (and should be media be forced to lie)

I've been reading into the Japanese suicide rate. The Wikipedia page on
suiicde in Japan has some details of a recent incrase int he suicide
rate due to a specific method. It explains that household products were
combined to make hydrogen sulphide and it references media articles.

I remember making hydrogen sulphide when I was a kid in chemistry
lessons. It's a noxious gas which smells like farts. Joke shops sell
stink bombs which use hydrogen sulphide. This method would be impossible
to use in the densely populated Japanese capital because it smells very
strongly. Detection would be very easy.

I suspect this is the mental health movement at work. They've forced the
media in Japan to lie. Given my basic chemsitry knowledge I would guess
that it was an odourless gass released by a mix of commonly available
household chemicals. I could guess the gas was chlorine but it might be
hydrogen chloride or another sulphate-based compound. I'm not going to
explore further here.

In Hong Kong perhaps a decade or so before the spate of Japanese
suicides using this unknown gas there was a similar situation. A
specific demographic started to use a new method using charcoal burning.
The paper I read on this cited a web page (which has now been taken
down) and the media coverage probably increased the awareness of this
new, painless method. I have my own ideas about how I could build one of
these contraptions and which gas would be the lethal agent however I'm
not going to discuss it here.

Don't get me wrong. This method of suicide prevention is probably
effective. It's just fucking horrible. This easy solution is the sort of
thing psychiatry would favour over introducing good solutions such as
helping people and chainging the social and employment problems which
lead to suicide.

Japanese culture and society will need to shift significantly to reduce
the suicide attempts and suicidal ideation. The focus on stopping
completed suicides is important of course but in a sense it's inhumane.
Stopping people reaching the point where they attempt to take their
life. That's what the main focus must be about.

It's hard though and that's not what psychiatrists like. An easy answer
which just involves the media providing false information (which is a
guess on my part). Across the world access to assisted suicide chemicals
has become harder. I've been reading the threads and it's heart
breaking. People are desperately looking for a final exit. They're
hunting hard but the powers that be have clamped down on access to the
usual drugs which people use to kill themselves. They've deleted
information about the suicide cocktails from sites like Wikipedia. Of
course this may reduce the suicide rate however it doesn't help those
people who want to kill themselves. It doesn't help those who've reached
that point.

Instead many of us struggle on tortured by the desire to die and without
help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"