Thursday 21 April 2011

Music instead of the chemical cosh?

http://www.chinamusictherapy.org/file/doc/Is%20Music%20Therapy%20an%20Effective%20Intervention%20for%20Dementia_%20A%20Meta-Analytic%20Review%20of%20Literature.pdf

There are clearly alternatives to the chemical cosh in dementia. I still
feel it's a society which recognises tolerance of madness can save lives
might be the significant step forward. Just because a behaviour can be
'treated' with drugs doesn't mean that it's the right thing. Tolerance
for the diversity and breadth of the human condition and how it
expresses through out a person's life is perhaps the way forward.

Killing the elderly using unnecessary medication breaches the
Hippocratic Oath. First do no fucking harm you murdering cunts. That's
sort of how it goes. I paraphrase.

The above paper is just one alternative, one which had been established
long before the chemical cosh began to be used in the community. The
medical profession could have kept its right to use the Hippocratic Oath
if they thought of these evidence-based alternatives before killing the
elderly with major tranquilliser medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"