Tuesday 3 August 2010

An ace article on the placebo effect

I've been meaning to get round to reading this for a while.
http://jdc325.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/the-powerful-placebo/

I totally admit I know nothing about the placebo effect after reading this post.

Prescription placebos used in research and pra...Image via Wikipedia





This is why I love science in a way. It's always proving me wrong. It may not do much for my self-esteem or credibility but I like finding out I'm wrong in spectacular ways like this. This blogger totally slams everything I knew.

The amount of time the blogger has spent on that article is amazing and makes my work a total mockery of good science journalism, but then it isn't good science journalism. This is just my notepad. Stuff and Nonsense is a proper blog.

The author's even read a 451 page Cochrane Systematic Review on the placebo effect. I'm going to be lazy and just read the New England Journal of Medicine article by the same author.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"