Monday 23 August 2010

I just had a chat with a genius

Well she's a genius by membership of Mensa - a higher than average
intelligence quotient according to consensus measures of intelligence.

I was a bit disappointed though. She was intelligent as heck but she
didn't seem to be mad. Still, it's always nice to meet a genius.

More importantly that her intelligence: she's mental health sensitive
and she works for the police. That's more important. She's aware that
mental illnesses should be treated with the same compassion and
sensitivity as physical illnesses. I don't know exactly what she does -
she's not a street copper - but she's part of an organisation where
mental toughness is valued and the organisational culture may not
approve of mental health sensitivity. (That's a huge generalisation made
from limited experience and hearsay of course and some of the police
officers I've met have been mental health aware and compassionate).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"