Monday 23 August 2010

Speaking about suicide

To the uninitiated speaking about suicide is a frightening thing.
People don't know what to say or do, not unless they're part of that
small community that can be open about their suicidal ideation.

There's a Facebook thread I'm currently commenting on. It's strange
because one of the posters echoes how I've been feeling. He's opened up
about his feelings of wanting death and his prayers for god to end his
life. I think many people wouldn't know what to do.

I opened up. I let him know that he's not alone in the way he feels. I
tried to explain how I live this suicidal ideation on a regular basis -
weekly if not daily, more weeks in the year than not, more than anyone
should have to suffer. I'm becoming more comfortable in removing my mask
and sometimes it's necessary to help people. I have a crappy way to
solve it: I'm used to it. I lied a little and said that remembering the
good times can come again can help survive. I also tried to push the
idea of social contact rather than internet contact.

This happened within an hour of me waking up. I wished last night I
could die and I didn't want to wake up this morning - that's how fucking
resilient I am to wanting to die.

The 1 in 6 people in their lifetime will experience suicidal ideation is
an extraordinary figure. People are so afraid to talk about it though. I
understand there's a fear of risk, i.e. that an inappropriate comment or
remark may be what sends a person over the edge. In my personal
experience the likelihood of that is small to none. It's the risk that
'trained' professionals take. Training to deal with suicidal people can
come in many forms though. The first rule is the simplest rule and works
for many things: compassion, even if you can't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"