Tuesday 31 August 2010

The stigma of mental illness and the opposite of the stigma

Two years ago when I was recovering from a period of schizophreniform
depression I became hypomanic and it was very pleasant. Lots of people
enjoyed my company and I went from a soulless, withdrawn husk to become
a socialable, fun loving and loving person. Last year I went into a
depressive state and wrecked my personal relationships, my job and
perhaps other important things.

I don't know what the antonym of stigma is. Acceptance is a neutral
term. Desireability may be the word I'm looking for. The desireabillity
of mental illness.

During the first hypomanic period I had boundless energy, could work
fast and excel in certain tasks. I was funny and perhaps entertaining.
This is something that people want to be and the sort of person people
want around. The unhappy me at the other end of the cycle is someone
who's undesireable and stigmatised. I was angry and I was venting and
displacing and projecting all over the place. I was reckless beyond sanity.

Perhaps this is just an experience bipolar people go through.
Depressives may not get that period of what is mental illness but what
is socially acceptable. It happened when I was at university as well.
There I'd get to know lots of people in my hypomanic stage and the
'craziness' wasn't craziness because it was acceptable. The things I did
when I was depressed still weren't.

I go through typical depression as well and that's acceptable - it's not
stigmatised as much any more but it's nor really something people desire
much.Those can be the easiest times for me with the least detriment to
my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"