Sunday 15 August 2010

I wonder if...

...one day society will evolve to the point where it's ok to talk
about suicidal feelings. 1 in 6 people in a lifetime experience suicidal
thoughts according to one of the highest quality studies in the UK
(Adult Psychiatric Morbidity Survey 2007).

Yet talking about it in public is weird. Speaking about it is still
strange to many people. It is a taboo and I guess that some people think
it's a taboo because it may increase the suicide rate if people spoke
about it. My opinion is it may not change or it might reduce the suicide
rate. I think in the short term there would be no change but in the long
term as society became accepting of the normality of suicidal feelings
and people became willing to accept the truth that 1 in 6 people have
these feelings at some point then perhaps things may get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"