Saturday 21 August 2010

Ketamine may provide a new option for rapid acting antidepressants

This is most amusing....Special K has been a recreational drug for
many years. This is the second study I've heard of where it's potential
as a mental health treatment is being investigated. Admittedly I haven't
read the study so this article has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
However it states
"
The authors note that ketamine also has been tested as a means to
rapidly treat people with suicidal thoughts, a benefit usually not seen
until weeks of treatment with traditional antidepressants.
"
http://www.bmedreport.com/archives/16378

It's not one I've tried intentionally. It may have ended up in Ecstacy
tablets I've taken. It was rumoured to be mixed in with "soap bar" -
cheap hashish resin usually imported from Morocco - to give a faked
monginess (sedation) that was a common effect from soap bar from
Liverpool about a decade ago.

I should probably get off my lazy arse and read the study. Modern
antidepressants work on serotonin neurotransmitter levels. I wonder if
what's normally used as horse tranquiliser would work on these pathways
or are there other neurotransmitters that help people get high?

Bah. Can't be arsed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"