Thursday 5 August 2010

Calling someone mentally ill is an insult

I put my images up on Facebook and someone made some vile comments on the photos I took of people protesting outside Westminster. It made me very angry.

I did something dirty. I offered them my compassion and suggested they were mentally ill and needed clozapine. I made other veiled insults.

I didn't think about what I was doing. It was pure rage and instinct or whatever. I don't do stuff like that. I'm straight and direct. Something took over as the crimson blurred my vision.


It's important though. Calling someone a diabetic wouldn't have been an insult though there are perhaps other physical illness that may be used as an insult.


Perhaps if I'd said they had a mental health problem that might have been better if I didn't want to insult them or I thought that they were distressed which was why they were projecting their anger on these protestors. That dirty part of my psyche, the part that's usually hidden from civilised society, made sure I lashed out with the worst thing I could say to a person: I think you need clozapine.


From the case studies of clozapine patients in America it is an insult.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"